Trying to get java working so I can make native calls.

I've got php.ini setup and it seems to work (i.e., I can use the online
(php.net) example and create a java.lang.System object, and access
properties from it).

However, created my own class in a directory I specified in my
java.class.path directive and it doesn't seem to work.  I get "Document
contains no data".  I can comment out the method call on $obj and it
prints my message, so I can only assume it's creating the object.

However, if I call a method on the object, I get the message.  By watching
the task bar, I see the "Connecting to localhost..."/"Sending request to
localhost" sequence being repeated every 5 secs or so.

Can anyone help me out?  I'd really appreciate it.  See code below:

<?

    $obj = new Java('com.x.reports.Serv');

    print $obj->getMsg();
?>

--- java code stored off of class path in com/x/reports ---
package com.x.reports;

class Serv
{
    public String msg = "THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE";

    Serv()
    {

    }

    public String getMsg()