John.

> Actually, "08" is equal to 8 in PHP. PHP will convert the string to an
>integer and the two will compare as equal.

No they are not equal. Yes, PHP will do the conversion so that they are
equal. That does not refute the fact that logically '08' != 8.

> Someone already posted why the problem was happening, because the numbers
> were being converted to invalid octal numbers and being set to zero.

I understand the problem at hand. (and did when I posted) However, if Scott
had been doing the conversions manually, he would never have run across this
problem.  It is a bad idea to rely on the language (whatever the language)
to do automatic variable conversions.

=C=