At 10:59 10-2-2003, you wrote:
I'm having a dispute with an ISP (surprise) about the non-functioning of
a PHP error script.

Currently, the error script is at
http://www.touristguides.org.uk/error.php - a direct click on that link
will redirect you, using:
    header("Location: http://www.touristguides.org.uk/index.php";);
And sure enough, you end up at /index.php

However, when I ask for /nosuchpage I get a blank window, and the
following source is output:
And that's all.
- check the url of 'nosuchpage' (i assume that that is a directory?), try to include the filename: /nosuchpage/index.html
- check whether you rely on POST or GET data in '/nosuchpage'
- if this fails, try a .htaccess file with a line
ErrorDocument 404 /nosuchpage/error.php
this will save your POST and GET variables (must be a RELATIVE link)

But the script works nicely on another server, suggesting that it might
be something to do with the Apache configuration.
is it approached via exactly the same detour?