I need a better understanding of when garbage collection is initiated under
PHP's default session handling. It is not clear to me if the gc_probability
is based on:

- each *request* to the server, or,
- each time a *new session file is created*, or,
- each time a request causes a *session file to be created or accessed*.

Does anyone know this?

Below is the documentation I found. I added the underscores for emphasis.

- At http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.session.php#AEN83911:

"session.gc_probability specifies the probability that the gc (garbage
collection) routine is started on each _request_ in percent."

- In the php.ini file:

"; Percentual probability that the 'garbage collection' process is started
; on every _session initialization_."

TIA

Kirk