Hi Wade,

Short answer then read on:
You do not have a virtual host in the Apache host.conf file that uses
folder /var/www/BASL for it's public root.

Here is what I know:

You need the absolute path from the system root to the public apache
folder. In my system user accounts are placed under /home and the
public folder is something like:

/home/user_login_ID/public_html

This means that:
http://www.example.com

points to folder:
/home/user_login_ID/public_html

The configuration.php file would have entries like this to match:

$mosConfig_absolute_path = '/home/user_login_ID/public_html';
$mosConfig_live_site = 'http://www.example.com';

You are not using live DNS with domain names, but rather localhost to
access your site. In your case you would have to make sure that /var/
www/BASL or /var/www/joomla_1.0.12 was a public folder definition for
virtual host in the Apache host.conf file. I'm going to guess that
the only public folder in /var/www/ is either htdocs or html. Most
linux systems create a public folder for each user so you can do
thing like:

http://localhost/~user_login_ID

The absolute folder path typically would be /home/user_login_ID/
public_html or something close to that.

The configuration.php file would have entries like this to match:

$mosConfig_absolute_path = '/home/user_login_ID/public_html';
$mosConfig_live_site = 'http://localhost/~user_login_ID';

http://localhost usually points to /var/www/htdocs or /var/www/html
in the apache conf file.

Sincerely,
Mike
--
Mike Brandonisio          *    Web Hosting
Tech One Illustration     *    Internet Marketing

     JIKOmetrix - Reliable web hosting