----- Original Message -----
From: "HELLBOY"

>   Hello all,
> I want to know how to get information about field types. I am using MyISAM.
>
> I can see some MySQL instructions that can do this for one field at a time
> but I want to get the
> stats for a whole table at once.
>
> For example -
>
> How do I get information on each field of a table as to weather or not that
> field can be null?
>
> And how do I get each data type for each of the fields in a table?
>
> I need the 'NOT NULL' / 'NULL' to force the administrator to allow access
> to this field for users
> who are permitted to add data items.
>
> I also need the data type so that I can associate validation REGEX with a
> field type as the data
> base is too broad to script individual field validations in php.
>
> Any pointers for REGEX for various MySQL data types would be greatly
> appreciated as I have no real
> experience with REGEX.
>
> Thanks all, Robert.

--------------------------------------
Hi,
I think I have an answer.
query for ur question is -  'DESCRIBE *tablename'*;
just execute this query, It will return a resultset of field details for
given table in the format--
*Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra*
It means u will have required information in resultset.

REgards,
Rider.
Hello HELLBOY,

Thank you, absolutely perfect!

Just one other thing would be helpful.

Can anyone give me a link to information that describes the information
returned in the fields 'KEY'
and 'EXTRA'?

Thanks all, Robert.