Not cross posted so someone will miss ;(

On 04/02/2019 01:02, Levi Morrison wrote:
I did the last redesign, and I took a less rigorous approach. If I
were to do it again, I would be much more rigorous in gathering
requirements and building mock-ups. There were a lot of pages which
needed re-worked because of my design, which took even more time.
While it's okay for some pages to be re-worked content-wise to fit the
new design, you want to minimize it.

20 years ago when I was looking for something to manage my content on-line I found this language called PHP. It looked like the solution to the problem as I did not have to build and compile everything in to one program, and I could change thing on the fly. I've still not achieved what I was looking for at that time and I doubt that one will ever see a single integrated framework that handles everything? The current big frameworks still only support their own 'area of expertise' and none provide a total solution?

Much like PHP itself, if one was starting again then one would not start here? But on the other hand with PHP controlling such a high percentage of the on-line infrastructure something must be right? So why o we need to keep changing everything?

One thing I learnt early on was that the most important thing is the raw content. Although coming from a data handling background that was something of a given anyway. There is a LOT of very good content on the current website, but it would be so much easier to handle if it was all in a database so that it was easier to index and search. And everything together in the one database with tables for comments, bugs, rfc's, news, cnferences/exhibitions, and even these lists ... and so on. Then translation would be easier since one only has to address the raw text and not worry about style issues.

There is probably another 20 years work to move the existing content into a form that is more practical today, so is the effort worth it?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL