Hi

Friday, December 14, 2001, 10:41:50 AM, you wrote:

>> > There must be some standard, we should not let alone all
>> > writers IMHO, to write things in their own preference.
>> > We have the 4 space rule, and other things. Previously
>> > we agreed (??) to use the PEAR standard. There were not
>> > too much talk about this...
>>
>> I know myself many writers personally :) There havenŽ t been not so
>> much talk about this problem because I have not so much free time as
>> you. The PHP documentation doesnŽ t use the so called PEAR standard.
>> It is only you who want this change. Please see it in a real world.
>> We cannot change the PHP manuals, if someone make a commit into the
>> documentation rules.

> As you can see in the commit history, it was _not_ me, who added
> that "convention".

@Goba: In fact it was me. My intention was _not_ to blame you for
something I am responsible for. I did it, I care for it.

@Egon: Please keep in maind the main purpose of this commit was _not_ to
introduce any "convention". I added some stuff php.ini related and
nuked out mysql_db_query from the examples. In this context I changed
the examples to this "convention". Indeed Goba mentioned this convention, but
I also had a look at the current howto and found myself conform to
this.

I used the resources provided for phpoc related
problems/questions/issues: the mailing list and the current howto.
Therefore I cant see whats wrong.
I can revert the changes for these function protos- no prob.
It doesn't matter to me how the protos are written.

> But I think it is useful to have one standard.
> It eases the reading of the manual. There is one standard
> developed by PHP developers, the PEAR standard. I don't say we
> _need to_ force everybody to use this. I say it would be good
> to have any common standard for the PHP codes in the manual, including
> how we present sample outputs, and the like... This not only
> eases the reading, but also eases the writing, as someone need
> not ask about how this should be written (as happened in the
> past - this was because this thread was started), because it
> is written down. Converting all the documentation examples is
> of course not a days work, but we can switch to use one
> standard slowly step by step, while upgrading the examples,
> and descriptions.

I aggree with you, Goba. If there are any conventions (regardless what
in detail, pear standard or not...) they should be
clear for everyone or in a place where someone can take a look at.

so far
 Friedhelm