ID:               15157
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux (Debian) / Solaris 8
 PHP Version:      4.1.0
 New Comment:

If in safe_mode one must utilize the safe_mode_exec_dir directory.  If
executables live in there they will work as advertised with the
examples in this bug report being included.

The doc changes for this report can be seen here:
http://cvs.php.net/cvs.php/phpdoc/en/reference/exec/reference.xml

[2002-01-22 07:07:26] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We should better continue tomorrow... Good night!

Oliver.

[2002-01-22 06:35:27] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

None that I'm aware of at the moment, but I don't use
safe_mode much so that doesn't necessarily mean anything. :)
The other problem is that it's 3:33 in the morning here and
I'm just about unable to think straight. For the time being,
if you have access to the server configs, maybe you can just
turn off safe_mode for that host?

Good night,

Torben

[2002-01-22 06:30:28] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I forgot to mention, that in safe_mode the whois like Torben  described
didn't work. argdump returns, that "Dirk" and "Janssen" are different
parameters.

No solution for safe-mode?

Oliver

[2002-01-22 06:24:59] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You got it! When I disable the safe_mode, the following works:

exec('whois -h whois.denic.de "Dirk Janssen"',$output);

The little c-prog returns now (safe-mode off) the right output.

But please tell me: Is it possible to execute a command like this
whois-call in safe-mode? I don't get it to work! And if not, whats the
solution?

Thanx for the support,

Oliver.

[2002-01-22 06:10:22] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hartmut, you should reread the bug report.

Oliver,
I'm reopening this and reclassifying it as a Documentation
Problem. When safe_mode is on, the arguments are passed
through a function which escapes potentially dangerous
characters--including the quote characters. However, this
behaviour does not appear to be documented anywhere.

When I enable safe_mode, I get the result you describe.
However, when I remove the quotes and use this:

  exec('whois -h whois.denic.de Dirk Janssen', $output);

...I get the proper result on line 14:

  [14] => % No entries found for the selected source: "Dirk Janssen"

I take it you don't get the right result from an authorized
server?

Torben

    http://bugs.php.net/15157

--