> So would it be possible to do just
>
> <note role="seealso">
>     <function>array_filter</function>
>     <function>array_walk</function>
> </note>
>
> And have a stylesheet add things like "See also", ",", "and" and "."? So
> that the actual format for the See also is totally consistent for every
> language?

Something like this, yes. But with a "bit" more markup. DocBook does
not allow us to have a <function> inside a <note>, so to make this
fully DocBook compatible:

<note role="seealso">
 <para>
  <function>somefunc1</function>
  <function>somefunc2</function>
 </para>
</note>

Then this can be automatically rendered to start with See also, put a ,
between
elements "and" before the last element (even depending on langauge
preferences,
as some languages don't use "and" there, like the Germans :). And a dot can
be
put at the end of course ;)

If we want a more list like construct, it's a bit more markup heavy:

<itemizedlist role="seealso">
 <listitem>
 </listitem>
 <listitem>
 </listitem>
</itemizedlist>

But BTW we already have a proposal to change the DTD to have extension
documentations grouped by some criteria. See /RFC/manual.xml.in and
dtds/phpbook.dtd. The customizations are quite simple, and easy (and
supported by DocBook). The only problem is that the customizations are
not yet done on the style sheet side (DSSSL and XSLT), so the rendering
is very dumb of that manual. And we have also not agreed on using a
modified DocBook DTD, even as some other PHP projects use modified
DocBook DTDs... Some guys used to have negative feelings about it...

BTW more information on the DocBook format here:
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/

Goba