From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: All
PHP version:      4.3.0
PHP Bug Type:     Documentation problem
Bug description:  Lack of detail to the installation instructions!

Basically, the installation file in the Apache section does not provide the
level of detail that is really needed. Far too often I see emails where
people can not get php to work. Why? Because they have simply followed
this instruction:

After you've set up the file layout properly, you're ready to finally
configure Apache to load the PHP4 module. Just add the following lines to
your httpd.conf:

   LoadModule php4_module c:/php/sapi/php4apache.dll
   AddModule mod_php4.c
   AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

Followed liturally, the user then goes and plonks them all in one big
group. Guess what happens then? If you said it mess's up, then you are
correct! Basically, to help all the new users to php/php installation, I
suggest the following change: (This is taken from an email I have sent out
several times, so some gramatic change may be in order!)

    LoadModule php4_module C:\PHP\sapi\php4apache.dll

This has to be in the same place as all the other LoadModule commands. If
you look through your httpd.conf file for Apache, you will see a whole
load of LoadModules with #'s in front of them. You need to place the above
line
at the end of that list.

If you then scroll down a bit the next section should be 'AddModule'. In
this section, you have to put the line
   AddModule mod_php4.c
at the bottom of the list. Both commands are needed to properly load PHP.

Once that is done, you will need to run a search for

" # AddType allows you to tweak mime.types without actually editing it, or
to "

Below that line should be a series of AddType commands. Again, you need to
put

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

at the end of the list.

is an optional feature, I personnally do not use it as I do not want
people to be able to view my source code. However it is up to you. If you
do want to include it, put it in the same section as the previous command.
--
Edit bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=22115&edit=1
--
Try a CVS snapshot:         http://bugs.php.net/fix.php?id=22115&r=trysnapshot