On Thursday 05 June 2003 20:02, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
> Given that Andreas was unable to post his message following this thread,
> and instead he opened several new threads, which we would be unable to
> join, I am doing what I have asked him to do: "use reply all".
>
> Here is the message he tried to send to us:
> | I've written a very practical PHP book, that introduces that great
> | script language, PHP. That part of the book I've writte is about 250
> | Pages and that part of the book containing the reference (funktion
> | List) is about 200 Pages. But I wouldn't like to publish the whole
> | function list. That what I would like to publish is : the reference
> | of:
> | 1. Array Functions
> | 2. Date Functions
> | 3. Filefunctions I/O Functions
> | 4. Math Functions
> | 5. MySQL Functions
> | 6. Stringfunctions
> | 7. Var. Functions
> | 8. Session Handling
> | 9. Grafik Functions GD Modul
> | 10. Reg Ex
> | 11 Errorhandling
> | 12 Functionhandling
> |
> | And I only would like to publish the German version not the English
> | Version !!!
> | Could I do that ?
>
> My question on what he would like to repusblish is only implicitly
> answered, he said nothing about the content he would like to republish,
> but as it seems to me half of the book would be from the German PHP
> manual (200 pages), so it won't be just a list, as he suggested but a
> full documentation.
>
> Now the question is what the English authors and the German translators
> think about a book containing part of the manual as one half of the
> content of it.

As one of the German translators (don't know about other people opinions):
First of all: the German trans might be particular outdated and therefore
plain misleading/wrong. Publishing in a printed book seems not a good idea to
me, pointing to the online docs (and the downloadable versions) is always
possible.
Near 50 % of a book is a huge amount, and I personally have some objections
against. I might be wrong, but Andreas never contributed to the German trans
and selling half a book based on the work of others is not smart;-)
So I am -1 on this.
Anyway, contributing to the German trans is always welcome.

Friedhelm