Gabor Hojtsy wrote:
Cheers,
Aloa

 [snip]

Sine only the ini_set() page is updated from time to time, this is quite some duplicated stuff, and will no doubt confuse people. What would be ideal IMHO:

  - move extension relevant stuff to the extension pages
    (do not have this info on the ini_set() page at all)

  - move general INI settings explanation and their scope info
    to an appendix (and do not have this on the ini_set() page)

This would leave the introduction on what can be changed where in the introduction part of the manual, while extension specific stuff would be at the extensions, and reference stuff would be in the appendix. That would mean that ini_set() would not have that list of scope info anymore, since that would be distributed to the extension pages and the appendix. We can have an index of all those ini settings in the appendix, if desired.

I'm ok here, but I think that keeping the information about what can be changed where in each ini.xml file would be fine too. It's always annoying to be obliged to switch between two pages to understand something. What about an entity like &ini.changeable.meaning ? (or whatever)

Having the INI stuff sorted out, I will finally be able to propose and actually do the changes needed to make reforms in the installation section, so we can have a better organized section for our users and translators to work with.

Great :) It will be cool to discuss the various problems too, like:

- reference skeletons (are we switching to mysqli docs style ?)

- additional entities for a better consistency (&php; for
  <literal>PHP</literal> for example, which will fix [1]

As Damien mentionned, we use a lot of entities in the french
documentation, and when it comes to the huge documentation that we have,
a nice set of entities becomes quickly handy. (even if it slow down a bit the build.

But we can discuss this in a more general thread.. +1 for your proposition.

[BTW doc-de and doc-fr also cc-ed, being the two most active translation groups - at least I suspect so]

http://didou.keliglia.com/php/revcheck_php.php5 :)

didou

[1] - http://news.php.net/article.php?group=php.doc&article=969360751