ID:               27583
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      stewart dot james at vu dot edu dot au
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Any
 PHP Version:      Irrelevant
-Assigned To:
+Assigned To:      philip
 New Comment:

This needs to be in the faq and linked to from the apache2 installation
docs.

[2004-07-16 00:19:51] glm at cyborgspiders dot com

Some extensions are not stable, anyone care to comment on which
extensions are stable.

Greg Magnusson
Cyborg Spiders Web Development

[2004-06-16 14:59:22] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This bug has been fixed in the documentation's XML sources. Since the
online and downloadable versions of the documentation need some time
to get updated, we would like to ask you to be a bit patient.

Thank you for the report, and for helping us make our documentation
better.

[2004-05-05 18:19:21] okapi at yahoo dot com

Can we have adjusted the information on the PHP apache 2 manual page
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php) from:

> *Warning*
>
> Do not use Apache 2.0 and PHP in a production environment
> neither on Unix nor on Windows.

To something more clear. This line has been the death to many to try
Apache 2. The statement should be more along the lines of "Some PHP
modules are not fully tested for running in the default multithreaded
environment of Apache 2. Core functions should be safe for this
environment. To be extra careful, it is recommended to run Apache 2 in
prefork mode which should avoid problems as it runs similar to Apache
1.3.x in this mode." Something along the lines of this and then for
there to be a list of modules tested / check and not tested which could
have problems. A comment was made:

"The PHP core is perfectly stable on Apache 2 -- It's just a few
extensions that cause trouble... We should probably be saying that
instead of just rejecting Apache 2 entirely."

This single ambigous line of "Do not use..." is not productive.

[2004-04-27 15:09:46] jlx at surfeu dot de

unable to get apache2.0.49 work with php4.3.6 and use php as a static
library, only the dso version works :-(

[2004-03-19 07:11:05] anon at example dot com

It's true that we have a fully evolved 'Chicken' under Unix. However,
under Windows, it's still in its pre-chicken state. A2 deals with that.
It's what the APR is all about, dealing with poor POSIX conformance
under windows.

In my experience it does work better than A1 with PHP4, but persuading
people of that is hard because of the notice the PHP developers have
put up.

<rant> Remember some people *have* to run MS Windows-- the decision out
of their hands. And that is quite apart from the fact that there are
(shriek! heresey!) situations where it is more appropriate than
Unix.</rant>

    http://bugs.php.net/27583

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=27583&edit=1