ID:               27583
 Comment by:       jlx at surfeu dot de
 Reported By:      stewart dot james at vu dot edu dot au
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Any
 PHP Version:      Irrelevant
 New Comment:

unable to get apache2.0.49 work with php4.3.6 and use php as a static
library, only the dso version works :-(

[2004-03-19 07:11:05] anon at example dot com

It's true that we have a fully evolved 'Chicken' under Unix. However,
under Windows, it's still in its pre-chicken state. A2 deals with that.
It's what the APR is all about, dealing with poor POSIX conformance
under windows.

In my experience it does work better than A1 with PHP4, but persuading
people of that is hard because of the notice the PHP developers have
put up.

<rant> Remember some people *have* to run MS Windows-- the decision out
of their hands. And that is quite apart from the fact that there are
(shriek! heresey!) situations where it is more appropriate than
Unix.</rant>

[2004-03-19 01:37:32] rick at alpinenetworking dot com

I for one would much prefer to use php on apache 2.  One of the main
reasons for this is that just about every linux distro known to man
won't install apache 1.3 for me anymore.  I have to manually install it
and manually do all of the updates or look to a 3rd party to get
package files for whatever distro I happen to be installing on.

It would be much nicer if I could just use the version of apache that
came with the distro and use the standard update tools to do
security/version updates.  It seems like there is no really good reason
not to except "well it's no better and nobody really wants it."  I'll
bet that a lot more people would start running php on apache2 once it
became stable.

Is there anyway to make it so that php will only run on the prefork MPM
so that you can at least say that php is stable under those conditions?
 It seems like that would satisfy the people who want to use php on
apache 2 but not force you to deal with the thread safety issues for
now.

[2004-03-14 18:27:52] stewart dot james at vu dot edu dot au

Reading the first comment your probably right the chicken itself is
fine just some of the feathers need fixing (e.g. some extentions abnd
their libs being the issue not core PHP) - at least thats just info
from reading the first reponse to this bug report.

Thanks for the tip on subversion. Will look into that this week.

[2004-03-14 12:33:07] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I suppose it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation with the one
exception that we have a nicely working chicken already.

Also note that you do not need Apache2 for SubVersion.  You can use the
standalone svnserve instead.  See
http://lxnt.info:8888/book/book.html#svn-ch-5-sect-4.2

[2004-03-14 02:19:46] stewart dot james at vu dot edu dot au

Ahhh enlightenment :)

That gives me alot of info as to the issues with apache2 and php and
why php is considered bad.

Added to that the PHP group seem to be facing a chicken and the egg
scenario. Alot of sites probably will not shift to PHP (I know my
servers won't be) until php is considered safe for apache2. So I guess
in large respects apache2 could stay fringe for php deployments.

My...recent eagerness...to see apache2 and php in production started
with subversion being released..among other things.

Seems to be a real chicken and egg scenario the php group is faced
with. apache2 is fringe. Once apache2 has a higher market share, then
more people will probably code and get php to work well with apache2.
But considering the popularit of apache2+php, apache2 probably won;t
increase market share significantly until either php and apache2 are
considered safe for a production environment or apache1.3 is dropped by
the apache group.

Anyway back to this bug report. Much of what was said in the previous
post gave me sufficient information to give me enlightenment. I am sure
it would for others as well. Perhaps that could be included in the
docs?

Cheers - and thanks for the enlightening,

Stewart

    http://bugs.php.net/27583

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=27583&edit=1