On 7 Jul 2008, at 16:10, M. Sokolewicz wrote:

Lars Strojny wrote:
Hi Hannes,
Am Montag, den 07.07.2008, 21:04 +0200 schrieb Hannes Magnusson:
[...]
Does anyone have any objection to changing the license of the PHP
documentation to Creative Commons Attribution (by)[1]?
What about by-nc-sa? Would prohibit commercial use, which I consider a good thing for the documentation (so not to print it as an appendix in
$var book) and would make sure that derived works are published under
the same license.
cu, Lars

What's wrong with it being included as an appendix? I actually see that as a positive thing... Hell, it's not like anyone will be selling "PHP: the reference" for 29.95 with it being available for free at php.net in a(n) (much) easier-accessible form.

- Tul

P.S. I'm all _for_ the license change in case people were wondering

Hola,

I too am for an open yet fair license. Awhile ago I wrote the following (and it appears I never followed up on it there!):

  http://news.php.net/php.doc.license/176

It lists three possible candidates with the one Hannes posted here as one of them. I do like this CC license because it's common, understandable, short, and has a pretty website :) If we voted this second I'd vote for it. However, I'm unclear how our required "manner specified" for attribution would be. I guess a link, and a certain phrase kinda like "The Official PHP Manual" or fancier words...

Regards,
Philip