On Aug 22, 2008, at 1:39 AM, Jean-Sébastien Goupil wrote:

That looks like really nice for now.
I have just few comments about the new design.

Personally, the first thought I had was "Mmm, it looks like a little less professional, but looks like the new era of web".

And I spent just 10 minutes browsing it, I have no idea how far you are with updating the design but I just want to tell you what I think:
 - the "code examples" don't stick out enough
- and the user contribution looks like it's part of the actual documentation content (I don't think it's good?)

I know my feedback is unsolicited so I'll try to make it as constructive as possible...

One principal of design is "contrast"[1]: make things sufficiently different to communicate their difference in meaning. For example, headers are sufficiently larger, bolder, or different in color so as to not be confused with other text elements that follow.

I think there are three facets of the existing design that are good examples of contrast:
    - the white space used between headings and body text;
    - the light blue boxes on a white background for each section;
    - the indenting of the Parameters section.

I find that the contrast between elements in the new design is not sufficient enough (for my weary, old eyes) and requires a tad bit more mental focus to read.

Also, I bumped up the size of the text in my browser by one notch and found things much easier to read. The text size is _really_ small in Safari.

Although personally I like the rounded corners and color scheme, I think accessibility experts may find the lack of contrast between links and background to be less than ideal.[2]

I know "design by committee" is an exercise in frustration so I hope my feedback isn't taken the wrong way and those responsible find *something* valuable in these comments.

Respectfully,

Ted Stresen-Reuter
http://tedmasterweb.com

[1] The design principal of "CRAP" was originally presented in Robin William's The Non-Designer's Design Book and is partially reproduced here http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/design-better- with-crap.html
[2] http://juicystudio.com/services/csstest.php#contrast