On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 15:46, Maciek Sokolewicz
<maciek.sokolew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19-01-2012 20:16, Yannick TorrĨs wrote:
>>
>> Hi Philip, Hannes,
>>
>> About Git migration : how are we deal with the revcheck tag ? Is there a
>> link between SVN revision ID and futur Git revision ID ? Is there a
>> script to automatically update translation to include the right Git
>> revision ID into the revcheck tag ?
>>
>> Best,
>> Yannick
>

> I still don't see why we would need or even want to move phpdoc to Git. Git
> is very nice, if you have a lot of concurrent development running in various
> "branches" where you want to combine various versions of files together. In
> the case of phpdoc however, I think all that support is moot. Simply because
> we have an "old version" of documentation as it was, and every change added
> is the current, the best and the only up-to-date version. There is a very
> clear history of every file from before to now, which we even rely upon when
> checking if translated files are still up-to-date with the english version.
>
> So please, could someone explain in plain english (or point me to an RFC
> that did so), why we should move phpdoc to git instead of keep it in SVN
> where it works more than fine (IMO).

I don't really understand the question.
You have all the same features in svn as you have in git really.
You can get a history of one file in git, just like you can in svn
which is just as clear and matches svn in every way - even more, as
you have full *offline* history too.

How we used CVS was that we could visually see how many revisions a
translated file was behind.
In SVN we no longer can do that, we can only see if it is up2date or not.
The exact same functionality is in git, is the file up2date or not. If
not, you retrieve the history of that specific file and thats it.

-Hannes