Sorry to come so late in this discussion. But there are guidelines for more
than a decade on how to handle notes:

   http://doc.php.net/php/dochowto/chapter-user-notes.php

Just in case you did not see it:

User Note Editing Guidelines

These are some guidelines to follow when editing user notes in the manual.

To begin editing user notes in the manual, you must have SVN commit access
to the manual, and you must either:
Subscribe to the *php-notes* mailing list or newsgroup as described at Mailing
Lists, Newsgroups and SVN
Modules<http://doc.php.net/php/dochowto/chapter-maillist.php>.
As a user submits a new user note, it will appear as a message on the
mailing list with links in the footer of the email that enable you to
delete, edit, or reject that particular note.
Log on to the server at »
http://master.php.net/manage/user-notes.php<http://master.php.net/manage/user-notes.php>
using
your SVN user ID and password. The user notes administration interface
enables you to search for user notes that match particular strings and edit
or change the status of particular notes directly through the Web interface.

The thing that seems to confuse the most people is the difference between
'rejecting' and 'deleting' a note. Basically, they both remove the note
from the manual, but 'rejecting' sends the user an email about the
rejection with links to support links and other information. Here are some
guidelines of when to use each. This section is mostly an edited version of
Jesus M. Castagnetto's email, with a few additions and re-phrases. The code
for managing user notes can be seen here: »
http://svn.php.net/viewvc/web/php-master/trunk/manage/user-notes.php<http://svn.php.net/viewvc/web/php-master/trunk/manage/user-notes.php>.
You can also view the exact text of the rejection email there.

   - If the note is asking for help (support request, 'Does this work...?',
      etc.) or if the person is reporting a bug, 'reject' the note. The email
      will show them the proper place to report such issues.
      - If the note contains useful information appropriate for the manual
      proper, you may incorporate the information into the manual and then
      'delete' the note.
      - If the note is in the wrong place, incorrect, a giant block of
      silly, unnecessary code, poorly written, an answer to another person's
      question, or just overall confusing, 'delete' it. If it was an
answer to a
      question, hunt down that note and 'reject' it.
      - If the note is in a language other than English, 'delete' the note.
      - If the note submitter's email address is obviously bogus, don't
      'reject' the note, just 'delete' it. Rejecting the note just
gives the mail
      server more work trying to send an email to a non-existent address, which
      doesn't help anything.

If for some reason you need to add to a note, first ask yourself if it's
worth it. Make sure you're not answering a user's question; if you are,
then the note doesn't belong there (see above). If you're clarifying a
point, see if it is appropriate to add the clarification to the manual
proper; if it is, add it and 'delete' the note (see above). If you still
feel that adding your addition to the note will be the best option, then go
ahead and add it. Usually, editors add their note in a "Editor's Note"
block at the top. Unless you are correcting a minor error, make it obvious
that you edited the note.

If you have some free time and commit access to phpdoc, try going through
some of the manual pages and adding some of the better notes into the
documentation proper. Be sure to 'delete' these notes after they're
implemented.

If you are in doubt about what to do with a note, you may ask for help on
the php-notes mailing list (or phpdoc, if what you're doing involves the
documentation proper).

Cheers

--
Jesus M. Castagnetto <je...@castagnetto.com>