Is there a way we can put the <note> in the role="description" section (or a reason why we shouldn't)? I think it needs to be above the "fold".

On 04/09/2012 04:25 PM, Philip Olson wrote:
On Apr 6, 2012, at 4:35 AM, Hannes Magnusson wrote:

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 06:41, Philip Olson<phi...@roshambo.org>  wrote:
Hello everyone,

I gently began the process of softly deprecating ext/mysql. Basically,
all I did was add<note>'s to several ext/mysql functions (to demonstrate
the concept), and added a related<para>  in the ext/mysql introduction.
Although the PHP community has been asking people to move away from
ext/mysql for years now, the idea here is to take the next [small] step
to make it both clearer and easier.

The aim of each<note>  is to:
  - Generally refer to the alternatives
   (mysqli and pdo_mysql)
  - Specify methods within said alternatives
   (e.g., mysql_connect->  mysqli_connect|pdo::__construct)

Possible problems:
  - Hidden (<note>  is near the bottom, and mixed with other notes)
  - Confusion (ext/mysql functions linking to ext/mysqli
   functions)

Isn't "see also" more appropriate?

When the alternative isn't an exact mapping, like with
mysql_data_seek() =>  PDO::FETCH_ORI_ABS (I had to lookup wtf that
constant did) a better and more concrete example should be included
somewhere imo.
That was the original idea but it doesn't feel ideal for this task. The
<note>  feels closer, and lends itself to allowing additional information
with the ability to insert explanations. So IMHO this<note>  is better
than See Also links.

As for the less intuitive alternatives (e.g., FETCH_ORI_ABS) I agree that
it should include information, although in this case FETCH_ORI_ABS
should be better documented and then a simple link would do. The detailed
examples are probably better suited for the migration guide.

Regards,
Philip