On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Christoph Rosse
<cro...@2bepublished.at> wrote:
> On 25.06.2013 08:46, Christian Stoller wrote:
>>
>> Hi internals.
>>
>> What do you think about moving the PHP documentation to a Git repository,
>> mirrored on Github? Doing this would make it possible for everybody to
>> extend the documentation easily by creating pull requests.
>>
>> Today one has to get an SVN account to edit the docu or you have to use
>> https://edit.php.net/ which does not work as expected (at least for me when
>> I tried to update some German documentation). My changes have not been
>> integrated for some months (I had to write an email to somebody of the doc
>> team to apply the changes).
>>
>> Symfony does it this way (see https://github.com/symfony/symfony-docs/)
>> and I like it very much. It is really easy to extend/update parts of the
>> docu which are not complete or outdated and I am sure that it is comfortable
>> and timesaving for the doc team, too.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Christian
>>

> As one who's had very similar experiences when trying to update some
> documentation via. edit.php.net (no feedback, no integration etc.) I would
> really love to see this feature.

Could you guys fill out http://www.php.net/git-php.php please? - It is
also important to use the correct mailinglist :)

As for the move to Git, if someone is willing to do the work then by
all means go for it - but I don't understand how that is some magic
fix?
You are complaining about patches being available but not applied, how
would github fix that?
Doesn't that just add yet another platform that we don't have manpower
to manage?

Also, our current tooling will need a *lot of work*, but the online
editor and our revision control for translations to name two big jobs.

The docs and websites don't operate in the same way as internals@
does. We employ a lot of trust in these neck of the woods, people with
karma to do stuff can actually do what they think is best without
going through daunting process, so once you've been around for a
little while and get a neat idea you want to work on, you don't have
to ask anyone or get permission - just do it!
If you want to work on git support for our tools, go for it.

There isn't any point in discussing things and coming to decisions
when there is noone that is able or willing to do the work. If there
work is there however.. :D

-Hannes