Sadly, I seem to have lost the post that I spent half an hour
composing earlier today...I thought Google said it had been
successfully sent but it hasn't appeared yet...so, I will be more
succinct this time. I looked through the posts so far from Ben, Rob
and Simon, thought about them, and weighed up the pros and cons of the
two approaches (1) cache and do the invalidation by timestamp and (2)
require user involvement to tell us when to cache and when to
invalidate.

The essential difficulty about caching and invalidating by timestamp
is that xsds may use include to point to other files. I cannot tell if
these other files have changed. Hence invalidation by timestamp is
dodgy. Even if I open the file and look at the contents that is not
enough - I would need to parse and follow the links to included files.
That's horrible.

Add to that the bother caused by the fact that relative pathnames the
extension gets are relative to the PHP cwd and not to the C cwd, so
that C code cannot necessarily just stat what it is given, and I would
have to work out how to call the PHP routines to check timestamp, and
invalidating by timestamp is unattractive.

I prefer to put it somewhat under user control. Here is my proposed
use case and interface:
// first time through...
$xmldas = SODO_DAS_XML::create(<array of filenames>,<key>);
// first time through it creates and stores under the given key
// use the das
// ...then in a later request, the call looks the same but the
behaviour is different
$xmldas = SODO_DAS_XML::create(<array of filenames>,<key>);
// ... the same call this time the das is retrieved based on the key

I much prefer to generate the key in PHP space by the way. If I have
to do it in C then I know I will write a lot of buggy code to xor the
filenames together which creates a code, test and maintenance burden.
If I do it in PHP space (for our case it will be in the SCA code) I
can do it in a couple of lines of PHP.

The interface is a little odd, but it is to do with the fact that in
our PHP code there is no equivalent to a first-time-through flag, so
the call has to look the same each time. The code inside the extension
will be something like:

if (<key> is not in table)
  generate new data factory from file names
  store in table under <key>
else
  retrieve stored data factory using <key>
put data factory into das and return

so, if they want the use on the second time through could call
create(null, <key>). We will not do this in the SCA code.

We will also need to introduce an explicit invalidate:
SDO_DAS_XML::invalidateSavedDataFactoryTableEntry(<key>); perhaps

OK, open for comments.