Sorry all that I am really late in this conversation (only a few weeks
behind). Been meaning to respond but always get distracted by
something (think I got ADD or something) :/.
I think I had mentioned this before but I really think there needs to
be 2 (at least) modes to this.
In my case, our company controls the servers, so I would want to be
able to set my own key to be used for caching. If other apps/departs
want to use my schemas I would share the key with them and everyone
would use the same.

This really wont work in the shared hosting environment though. I bet
in almost all those cases the hosting provider would not want caching
enabled (otherwise not install the extension). They dont want one
customer hogging memory here. In this case the per request caching
might be applicable (if you are even considering this type of
caching).

So in short, it would be nice for at the minimum of system caching
(shared between processes) and an option to disable completely.
Nice to haves would be option for per request or file based caching
like ext.soap.

I know I just asked for everything here but at the minimum a way to
disable caching on a server level (ini option) is definitely needed.
Hope I am not too far behind and mentioning things already
implemented :)

Rob