im also checking back from time to time.
there is a lot to learn from PL.
im a long time anti-complexity fan too.
i was expressing this attitude of mine in SHell scripts and Rebol so far,
but since Rebol has started rotting, im looking for alternatives.
(by rotting, i mean the graphical version Rebol throws weird lowlevel message
on the console since snow leopard and we are waiting for antialiased font
support for it under mac for 3-4yrs now, while the windows and linux versions
have it… and the core author's blog is silent for more than a year now…)
http://red-lang.org is a nice alternative but it's just a baby
toolkit/environment/language yet,
which leave me with PicoLisp as the only choice,
although im coding in NodeJS and AngularJS after Ruby for living…

im following the progress of http://web.syllable.org/pages/index.html and
http://menuetos.net/ which are OS made in the same spirit.
i want to understand all those things im using during programming and i think
it's very possible actually throughout a lifetime, because there were examples
of such complete systems exist before! think about lisp machines or even the
"4th Forth by Febert Csaba" forth implementation i was using to learn
programming on a zx spectrum…

last year i heard a story from barry shein (founder of http://world.std.com)
about why did the postscript based NeWS system died and the pie menus together
with it. 1 small reason was improper sandboxing, but the major reason was
politics and money and thats how sun unix-es won the universities over… with a
different and a bit deceptive pricing model. also the boot time was great,
however u had to reboot those unix machines regularly as opposed to those NeXT
systems which ran NeWS. or something like that (sorry, barry if i remember
inaccurately :)

i see more an more convergence back to these simpler systems.
html5 canvas can do things now what rebol could already do in 2000.
angularjs is shrinking their library while alleviates the need for a lot of
code u have to write in other framework (and think about shrinking by 1/2 to
2/3!)
another less know example is the proprietary OS of the mediatek phone chips.
it's a realtime multitasking OS with no networking libs, etc, so it's 300kB if
compiled, but it allowed the mediatek guys to silently start to dominate the
indian and chinese low price tag phone market which providing 8Mpixel camera,
3G internet, external keyboard, 320x340 display for ~120usd in the past ~3-4
years, iirc.

i see the raising a secondary internet infrastructure too. not sure about the
timeframe, but i think it will go common knowledge how to cover an area with
robust wifi cheap from everyday materials
(http://www.oreillynetcom/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448 and
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448), low power consumption
computers (http://www.raspberrypi.org/) and distributed communication and
infrastructure applications (https://joindiaspora.com/ , http://status.net/ ,
http://freenetproject.org/ and http://unhosted.org/) to make them work reliably
and make sure their maintenance is affordable to learn and development can
maintain a pace, they have to be simpler than today...

--
tom