Hi Alex,

>> I am trying to compile the latest picolisp 3.1.10 on 32 bit ARM.
>>
>> I remember I sent a patch fixing ARM compilation a while ago but that
>> wasn't accepted, because the aditional cases would make the Makefile
>> "ugly".
>
> Really? When was that? Please excuse my bad memory .. ;)

I managed to find those emails now:

https://www.mail-archive.com/picolisp%40software-lab.de/msg03802.html
https://www.mail-archive.com/picolisp%40software-lab.de/msg03434.html

>> 1) is it ok to simply compile everything with -fPIC?  E.g. fixing the
>>    makefile by calling
>>
>>    (cd src ; sed -i s/-m32/-fPIC/g Makefile)
>>
>>    or the picolisp binary should not be compiled with -fPIC?
>
> I would say that this is not right. The PIC flag (position independent
> code) is - as I understand it - needed for the shared object libraries
> (lib/ext and lib/ht), but not for the base system. But, on the other
> hand, this is a matter of the system. On Mac OS, for example, position
> independent code seems to be always necessary.

Ok, so -fPIC does not break anything.

>> 2) How do I run the picolisp test suite to verify, that the build is
>>    successful?
>
> This is an easier question. It is, BTW, also noted in the test file
> "@lib/test.l" itself:
>
>    ### Unit Tests ###
>    # Local usage:
>    # ./pil lib/test.l $(/bin/pwd) -bye +
>
>    # Global usage:
>    # pil @lib/test.l $(/bin/pwd) -bye +
>
> If something goes wrong, it stops in an error break. Otherwise it simply
> prints OK.

Thanks for this.

What do I need to do for it to exit with non-zero exit code?

It would be nice if it was also available as a make check target for
more traditional convention.  That way people could run the tests
without having to think about it too much:-)

>> I am trying to compile the latest picolisp 3.1.10 on 32 bit ARM.
>
> You could also take a look at how Debian (Kan-Ru Chen?) is doing it.

Ok.  But it is a shame that compiling picolisp doesn't work out of the
box, especially when it is easy to achieve.

> I'm using PicoLisp on my Kobo E-Book reader, which has an ARM
> CPU. Works perfectly out of the box with "apt-get install picolisp" :)

You obviously never compiled it yourself and rely on debian instead.

I dont have debian on my ARM machine, so I have to duplicate the fixing
effort.

Thank you,

Tomas