Hey Lawrence,

if you are new to picolisp and want to get an impression of how it works an try some of the examples, I think "sudo apt-get install picolisp" is the perfect way to reach "picoLand" and start exploring it's beautifulness immediately.

If you then feel the need of the things, that changed since the (3.1.5 ?) release, that your ubuntu offers you, it's rather easy to install additional picolisp-releases side by side (no need for su permissions for these local userspace installs, as far as I know).

No need to bother long time which would be the best way - just tap sudo apt-get install und look around :-)
Decide later, which release to work with.

Answers to the second question might be found in the maillist archive, as there were questions concerning special hardware before.

Picolisp offers a number of flavors out-of-the-box (mini-picolisp, ersatz, 32bit, 64bit, (?) , pilOS)
which are different in the way of system ressources they need,
the way they are written in (some in C, 64bit in Assembler, ersatz in Java),
and the features the specific flavor offers
(- but I'm just reading that, I do not know anything real about that -)
so that I always get the impression of 'there should be one way to get picolisp run on my desired hardware'.

Hopefully there will be a more precise answer from the list concerning your question.

Wish you have much fun with picolisp,

O.