clarification about the GitHub legalese:

My point is not "do not use github" but "github is not a singularity, no
exception to the fact that they might close or suddenly turn into a bad actor".

I personally don't believe that this is the point yet nor that their ToS change
was made with bad intentions.
My current view agrees with this HN comment:
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=13770443

Basically, GitHub moves the legal responsibility from itself to the uploader.
There is no clear incompatibility with FOSS-licenses at the moment.
But such incompatibilities are not ruled out completely or for future GitHub
service changes.
A minority (afaik) weights the risks so high that they chose not to use GitHub
anymore.

Me personally, I find it very bad how they introduced this ToS-change, and
secondly why should the move the legal risks to mostly private persons and
non-profit FOSS-projects?
Why don't they keep the legal risk on GitHub, when they have the money and
lawyers to check, and secondly when that legal risk is probably only arising
when they would introduce bigger changes in how GitHub services work?
That would be a service for the FOSS-people, not just great technical
infrastructure but also legal protection from risks that solely come from how
GitHub behaves.

/beneroth