Thanks Alex,
I see, if the assumption was long to be 64 bits then perhaps all the
"long"s in the code should be changed to int64_t .... I see that there are
several usages of long in the code other than the couple of places I
changed.

I was wondering though if there is some implementation of miniPicoLisp out
there that I could use as reference - perhaps just with the ability to call
an external program.

Regards,
Kashyap