On Wed, Aug 16, 2023 at 1:46 AM Tomas Hlavaty <picolisp@software-lab.de>
wrote:

> On Mon 14 Aug 2023 at 09:05, Abraham Palmer <picolisp@software-lab.de>
> wrote:
> > I'm really a bread baker <http://boxturtlebakery.com>
>
> its fascinating how much IT stuff one needs to know to run a bakery

You could run it without the IT of course - it's just an interest of mine.

> i like muffins but the link to picture of muffins is broken
> https://boxturtlebakery.com/products/culturedmuffins.jpg
>
> > my bakery in Python running against Google's Datastore database.
>
> do your customers know and agree with their info being given to google?
>
> Most of my customers really aren't tech savvy so wouldn't even stop to
consider it. Still I don't disagree and am trying to move off of it.

> but the churn of research languages is
> > just as bad with things breaking pretty much every year.
>
> PicoLisp has the same problems, there are many "variants" and it is hard
> to keep up.  That is why I am stuck with old 32 bit C variant.  But it
> still works very well.
>
> If you want something fossilized, try common lisp.
>
> > tried Elm. It is very nice, but one is still very much embedded in the
> > browser and JavaScript ecosystem and the churn of running things there
> > is too much for me.
>
> I thought Elm has stabilized now?
>
> Yes, Elm v0.19 has been very stable (too stable for some - they would like
more fixes and improvements) so it's the churn of the JavaScript ecosystem
and I found it really hard to just stay in the Elm walled garden.

> > I hope that that web approach of just using the browser for just the
> > UI will keep things working on old and changing browsers without all
> > the testing, polyfilling, etc.
>
> Why is this good in case of PicoLisp and not in case of Elm?
> Because you insist on doing the backend in the same language?

Yes, I think it will really help my productivity to just have one language
and set of dev tools. Elm does a good job of compiling down to a basic form
of JavaScript and browser DOM but by the time I have to talk to a server
with GraphQL or other APIs it has still become fairly complicated for my
taste. I'll see how it goes as I work slowly on it the rest of the year.
--Abraham