In general, it would be really, really nice if it were easy to build
abstract Pig syntax trees outside of the normal parser.

For instance, I find the fact that pig is not a full scale scripting
language incredibly confining.  I would love to be able to build a DSL in
groovy that let me use groovy for scripting, but still execute pig jobs
easily.  If I could build Pig syntax trees easily, then I would be, as they
say, in pig heaven.

That would also let the switch to a different parsing technology happen
gradually rather than all at once.  Two different grunt interpreters could
coexist for a short time while the new one is proved out.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve