We looked into antlr. It appears to be very similar to javacc, with the added feature that the java code it generates is humanly readable. That isn't why we want to switch off of javacc. Olga listed the 3 things we want out of a parser that javacc isn't giving us (lack of docs, no easy customization of error handle, decoupling of scanning and parsing). So antlr doesn't look viable.

In response to Pi's suggestion that we could use the logical plan, I hope we could use something close to it. Whatever we choose we want it to be flexible enough to represent richer language constructs (like branch and loop). I'm not sure our current logical plan can do that. At the same time, we don't need another layer of translation (we already have logical -> physical -> mapreduce). I would like to find a representation that could handle expressing the syntax and what is currently the logical plan.

Alan.