Sorry, after I sent that email yesterday I realized I was not very clear. I did not mean to imply that antlr didn't have good documentation or good error handling. What I wanted to say was we want all three of those things, and it didn't appear that antlr provided all three, since it doesn't separate out scanner and parser. Also, from my viewpoint, I prefer bottom up LALR(1) parsers like yacc to top down parsers like javacc. My understanding is that antlr is top down like javacc. My reasoning for this preference is that parser books and classes have used those for decades, so there are a large number of engineers out there (including me :) ) who know how to work with them. But maybe antlr is close enough to what we need. I'll take a deeper look at it before I vote officially on which way we should go.

As for loops and branches, I'm not saying we need those in Pig Latin. We need them somehow. Whether it's better to put them in Pig Latin or imbed pig in a existing script language is an ongoing debate. I don't want to make a decision now that effectively ends that debate without buy in from those who feel strongly that Pig Latin should include those constructs.

I agree with you that we should modify the logical plan to support this rather than add another layer. As for active development, the only thing I'm aware of is we hope to start working on a more robust optimizer for pig soon, and that will require some additional functionality out of the logical operators, but it shouldn't cause any fundamental architectural changes.

Alan.