Your understanding of the proposal is correct. The goal would be to produce Java code rather than a pipeline configuration. But the reasoning is not so that users can then take that and modify themselves. There's nothing preventing them from doing it, but it has a couple of major drawbacks.

1) Code generators generally generate horrific looking code, because they are going for speed and compactness not human maintainability. Trying to work in that code would be very difficult.

2) If you start adding code to generated code, you can no longer use the original Pig Latin. You are from that point forward stuck in Java, since you can't backport your Java into the Pig Latin.

The proposal is designed to test the performance of Pig based on generated Java (or for that matter any other language, it need not be Java). For the idea you suggest, the NATIVE keyword (proposed here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-506) is a better solution.

Alan.