This paper seems very relevant to the proposal -
"Compiled Query Execution Engine using JVM"
http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/ICDE.2006.40

>From the abstract -
"Our experimental results on the TPC-H data set show that, despite both
engines benefiting from JIT, the compiled engine runs on average about twice
as fast as the interpreted one, and significantly faster than an in-memory"

(I don't have access to the full paper though).

-Thejas

>>> [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG JIRAs] will be filed for
>>> them.
>>>
>>> We welcome contributers to take on one of these projects.  If you
>>> would
>>> like
>>> to do so, please file a JIRA (if one does not already exist for the
>>> project)
>>> with a proposed solution.  Pig's committers will work with you from
>>> there
>>> help refine your solution.  Once a solution is agreed upon, you can
>>> begin
>>> implementation.
>>>
>>> If you see a project here that you would like to see Pig implement
>>> but you
>>> are
>>> not in a position to implement the solution right now, feel free to
>>> vote
>>> for
>>> the project.  Add your name to the list of supporters.  This will
>>> help
>>> contributers looking for a project to select one that will benefit
>>> many
>>> users.
>>>
>>> If you would like to propose a project for Pig, feel free to add to
>>> this
>>> list.
>>> If it is a smaller project, or something you plan to begin work on
>>> immediately, filing a [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG
>>> JIRA] is
>>> a better route.
>>>
>>> || Catagory || Project || JIRA || Proposed By || Votes For ||
>>> pipeline of
>>> pre-built operators and running data through those operators in map
>>> reduce
>>> jobs.  We need to investigate instead have Pig generate java code
> [...]
>>> they do
>>> should be pushed into the proceeding reduce and the map replaced by
>>> the
>>> identity mapper.  Initial tests showed that the identity mapper was
>>> 50%
>>> faster than using a Pig mapper (because Pig uses the loader to
>>> parse out
>>> tuples even if the map itself is empty). || [
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-480 480] || olgan ||
>>> gates ||
>>> or float
>>> conversions.  Initial tests showed these could be done about 8x
>>> faster than
>>> String.toIntger() and String.toFloat(). || [
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-482 482] || olgan ||
>>> gates ||
>>> determine how to partition, and then runs another job to do the
>>> sort.  For
>>> small enough inputs, it should just sort with a single reducer. || [
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-483 483] || olgan || ||
>>> sorted and
>>> partitioned on the same key.  Pig needs to be able to take
>>> advantage of this
>>> and do these joins in the map.  The join could be done by sampling
>>> one input
>>> to determine the value of the join key at the beginning of every
>>> HDFS block.
>>> This would form an index.  Then in a second MR job can be run with
>>> the
>>> other input.  Based on the key seen in the second input, the
>>> appropriate
>>> blocks of the first input can also be loaded into the map and the
>>> join done.
>>> || || gates || ||
>>> in the
>>> FOREACH.  In some cases it could still be used.  || [
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-479 479] || olgan || ||
>>> inserts a
>>> FOREACH immediately after the LOAD that does the conversions.  These
>>> conversions should be delayed until the field is actually used. || [
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-410 410] || olgan ||
>>> gates ||
>>> pig
>>> script, it is done in two additional MR jobs.  The first job
>>> samples using a
>>> sampling loader, the second does the sort.  The sample is used to
>>> construct
>>> a partitioner that equally balances the data in the sort.  The
>>> sampler needs
>>> to be changed to be a !EvalFunc instead of a loader.  This way a
>>> split can
>>> be but in the proceeding MR job, with the main data being written
>>> out and
>>> the other part flowing to the sampler func, which can then write
>>> out the
>>> sample.  The final MR job can then be the sort. || || gates || ||
>>> script
>>> it is currently done in 3 MR jobs.  The first converts it to
>>> format (because the sample loader reads that format), the second