From: Alan Gates [mailto:ga...@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 1:46 PM
To: pig-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Restarting discussion on Pig as a TLP

Five months ago I started a discussion on whether Pig should become a top level
project (TLP) at Apache instead of remaining a subproject of Hadoop
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-pig-dev/201003.mbox/%3c006aea7c-8829-4788-ad7b-822396fa2...@yahoo-inc.com%3e
).  At the time I voted against it
(http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-pig-dev/201003.mbox/%3cf1484964-e774-48b7-9d45-6e57c7b09...@yahoo-inc.com%3e
), as did many others.  However, I would like to restart that discussion now.

I gave several reasons for voting against it :

First, I was worried that by loosing our connection to Hadoop, Pig would loose
its source of new users.  I have since been assured by Hadoop members that Pig
would be free to keep our tab on their page (as Hbase has).  Also, obviously we
would still be welcomed at Hadoop get togethers such as the various HUGs,
Hadoop Summits, etc.  So our connection does not seem in danger.

Two, I was concerned that by not being members of the Hadoop community we would
loose influence with Hadoop.  It is true that Pig developers will have to stay
active in the Hadoop community, which will put a slightly extra burden on them.
 But they are already bearing this burden, and whether or not the communities
are governed by the same or separate PMCs will not affect this.

Finally, I said that philosophically it makes sense to me that all Hadoop
related projects should stay under one umbrella.  This still makes sense to me,
and I do see this as a downside of Pig moving out of Hadoop.

In addition to the above, a few other things have happened over the intervening
months to cause me to reconsider.  Most importantly, it has become clear to me
that Pig is operating as if it were a TLP inside Hadoop.  We have four members
on the Hadoop PMC, which means we have sufficient votes to elect our committers
and release our products.

Also, several Hadoop PMC members who have long experience in Apache projects
have made clear to me that they believe Pig is ready to be a TLP.

I was also concerned about diversity in our PMC, since our project is Yahoo
heavy.  Given that 10 out of 12 committers are Yahoo employees we need to work
on this.  But we do have experienced committers in three different
organizations, and I think this gives us sufficient base to to work on it as a
TLP.

So, in summary, I have switched my view on this from "not yet" to "now is a
good time".  I think Pig is ready to be a TLP.  We have a community of
contributors and users that is growing both in numbers and in diversity.  We
have a strong group of committers who I believe are ready to take on leadership
of the project and who will benefit from being mentored by the larger Apache
community.

Thoughts?

Alan.