/dev/ttyd1 -> /hw/ttys/ttyd1

David Warren wrote:

> Actually, you'll make your life a lot easier if you just use port 2.  Port
> 1 defaults to a serial console, and you'd need to disable it before you can
> use the port for anything else.
>
> If you do decide you really want to use port 1, look in the /etc/inittab
> file.  There will be a line that starts out:
>
> t1:23:respawn:/sbin/suattr
>
> and ends with:
>
> exec /sbin/getty ttyd1 console
>
> You'll need to change the "respawn" to "off", like the line below it.
> Then, find the process it started (ps -ef | grep getty), and kill it.
>
> One thing to note is that if you go this route, you'll have to maintain
> this change everytime you upgrade the O/S.

Ok. I decided to go with ttyd2.
First of all ttyd{1,2} points to  /hw/ttys/ttyd{1,2}
the first was lrwxr-xr-x, the second, c-w--w--w-.
I changed both to ?rwxrwxrwx.
Please let me know if there's any problem with that.

> The devices you'll want to use are /dev/ttyd1 (for port 1), and /dev/ttyd2
> (for port 2).  You'll need to make sure that the one you use has read and
> write permissions for everyone.

Done.

But it's still not working.
At least now I can at least Ctrl+C when it hangs.
I tryed using ttyd1 and ttyd2 with same results.
On the port configuration I tried with a terminal as the device, and with
nothing at all.
I couldn't get to install the Modem drivers. Got to get a distribution CD.
Should I have the port configured as a Modem in the Serial Device Manager?

Thanks a lot.

--
Dado Feigenblatt                                 Wild Brain, Inc.
Technical Director                               (415) 553-8000 x353