>From: JP Rosevear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Sync protocol emulation
>Date: 04 Dec 2001 10:23:56 -0500
>
>On Tue, 2001-12-04 at 06:42, Ahmad Baitalmal wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I used pilot-link with a palm III and it worked great. I'm trying to
>find a
> > way to sync my iPaq to the same data using pilot-link.
> >
> > The idea is that I would build some serial communication app that
>interacts
> > with pilot-link as if it were a palm pilot.
> > I'm not woried about the iPaq side, I guess what I'm really looking for
>is a
> > simple pointer to "Where can I find the protocol documentation?" for the
> > syncing process.
> >
> > Yes I know someone is building a palm os emulator for the ipaq, but
>that's
> > overkill. I just want to sync pim data. All I want is the Protocol
> > Documentation to build an application that pilot-link would think is a
>real
> > palm device and interact with.
>
>Basically I think you should work with the protocol-rewrite-branch in
>cvs because we have better abstraction of the devices and you just need
>to implement 5 routines as a serial device.  You then need to pick a
>protocol stack to emulate, either the net/dlp protocols or slp/padp/dlp
>protocol combo.  You then also need to send back data in an appropriate
>format for addressbook, datebook, etc.

Thankx JP,
Where is the cvs? ximian?

So you are saying the basic contact, calendar, task, could be achieved by
implementing 5 routines and responding with a correct format over a serial
connection. Cool, now why would I pick net/dlp or slp/padp/dlp?
dlp sounds like it's simpler.

And if this emulator is built correctly on the iPaq, evolution (and others
through pilot-link) would have to trouble syncing the basic PIM sutff right?

If that's the case, it would solve many people's problems.

Thank you

_____
Ahmad