I had something similar happening when I tried downloading from my digital
camera, it never happened with any of my Palms, but anyway what fixed the
camera problem was setting IRQs via :-
/usr/sbin/hdparm -u1 /dev/hda
Apparently a disk interrupt was affecting my serial download and this
fixed it. Just place the above command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local & I hope that
it works for you.

On 18 Dec 2001, Steffen Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have the old "weird packet" (and now "unexpected packet"  ;-)
> problem using pilot-xfer in both todays CVS version (0.10.1)
> and old 0.9.1 on several Compaq Alpha Workstations AU500 and XP1000
> running Tru64 4.0f (Fairly fast 500 MHz 320Meg 21264 CPUs)
> and syncing to Palm V handhelds.
>
> We have so far no idea why it fails on some machines
> wile being o.k. for others, but we can't have our users
> queue up on the ones that do work...
>
> What we've tried so far:
>
>       1) Different Palms, some work, some don't
>       2) Different Cradles, some work, some don't
>       3) Different Workstations, some work, some don't
>
> Moving an affected Palm/Cradle combination to a different
> Workstation helps, but again, we run out of serial ports
> on some machines...
>
> Setting PILOTRATE to a lower value, say 57600, did not work,
> it just takes longer 'til the problem arises.
>
> The problem does not occur at a specific file,
> e.g. during backup, but apparently randomly.
> A random Log is given below.
>
> I've seen similar problem reports on the web earlier,
> but no solution so far. Problem occurs more with our power users,
> that is people whos Palms are loaded with a few megabyte.
>
> We have the impression that we have to start
> debugging the serial connection, but no clue where to start.
>
> Any Ideas ? We'd like to contribute making pilot-link
> bullet-proof for the 1.0 release.
>
> Some clueless fiddling in the code did not help:
>       doubling xmitTimeout to 4*1000
>       doubling xmitRetries to 20
>
> So, any clues as to how we can help debugging this problem ?
>
> Yours,
> Steffen

> Backing up '/homes/sneumann/Palm/backup4//plucker.pdb'...
>    Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
>
>    Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
> Failed, unable to back up database
>
>    Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
>
> RAM backup done.
>
>    Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
> Time elapsed: 0:01:41

> Begin padp_tx
> At "Reading Ack"
> End padp_tx
> Begin padp_rx
> At got data
> At sent Ack
> At storing block
> End padp_rx
> Begin padp_tx
> At "Reading Ack"
> End padp_tx
> Begin padp_rx
> At got data
> At sent Ack
> At storing block
> End padp_rx
> Begin padp_tx
> At "Reading Ack"
> End padp_tx
> Begin padp_rx
> At got data
> At sent Ack
> [...]

---

Regards,
Alf Stockton    www.stockton.co.za
MESSAGE ACKNOWLEDGED -- The Pershing II missiles have been launched.