Hi,

We have the old "weird packet" (and now "unexpected packet"  ;-)
problem using pilot-xfer in both todays CVS version (0.10.1)
and old 0.9.1 on several Compaq Alpha Workstations AU500 and XP1000
running Tru64 4.0f (Fairly fast 500 MHz 320Meg 21264 CPUs)
and syncing to Palm V handhelds.

We have so far no idea why it fails on some machines
wile being o.k. for others, but we can't have our users
queue up on the ones that do work...

What we've tried so far:

        1) Different Palms, some work, some don't
        2) Different Cradles, some work, some don't
        3) Different Workstations, some work, some don't

Moving an affected Palm/Cradle combination to a different
Workstation helps, but again, we run out of serial ports
on some machines...

Setting PILOTRATE to a lower value, say 57600, did not work,
it just takes longer 'til the problem arises.

The problem does not occur at a specific file,
e.g. during backup, but apparently randomly.
A random Log is given below.

I've seen similar problem reports on the web earlier,
but no solution so far. Problem occurs more with our power users,
that is people whos Palms are loaded with a few megabyte.

We have the impression that we have to start
debugging the serial connection, but no clue where to start.

Any Ideas ? We'd like to contribute making pilot-link
bullet-proof for the 1.0 release.

Some clueless fiddling in the code did not help:
        doubling xmitTimeout to 4*1000
        doubling xmitRetries to 20

So, any clues as to how we can help debugging this problem ?

Yours,
Steffen

Backing up '/homes/sneumann/Palm/backup4//plucker.pdb'...
   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
Failed, unable to back up database

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)

RAM backup done.

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
Time elapsed: 0:01:41

Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
At got good packet
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"
End padp_tx
Begin padp_rx
At got data
At sent Ack
At storing block
End padp_rx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
End padp_tx
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
End padp_tx
Failed, unable to back up database
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
End padp_tx

RAM backup done.
Begin padp_tx
At "Reading Ack"

   Unexpected packet (possible port speed problem? out of sync packet?)
End padp_tx
Time elapsed: 0:01:03

The Corresponding PiDebug.log is available
at
        http://www.TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE/~sneumann/PiDebug.log