CJ Rumpolo wrote:
> Also what exactly is silver recovery? I am guessing its a way to
> remove silver from used developer, and is this done to save money or
> to help reduce water pollution? Just wondering.

Silver recovery is done to remove metalic silver from spent fixer.  It
is done at commercial labs for both environmental and economic
reasons.  For a home darkroom (or a single class) you're not likely to
produce enough waste to worry about recovery.  It definitely won't be
economical for you to recovery the silver because the amounts will be
too small for anyone to buy it back from you.  If you're worried, you
can pour the spent fixer into a container and take it wherever your
community handles toxic waste recovery (paint, thinners, etc.).

If you want to try something in your class put a piece of steel wool
in the container with the spent fixer.  After a while the silver
should plate out onto the steel wool.  That's one way that silver
recovery works.

You might want to check out the pure-silver mailing list
<http://www.tundraware.com/Photography/Lists/> or the USENET
rec.photo.darkroom newsgroup for more darkroom information.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "But in the new approach, as you know,
reyno...@panix.com              |  the important thing is to understand