CJ Rumpolo wrote:
>     The use of paper negatives might be the easiest starting
> point. I was thinking of making up changing boxes, instead of
> changing bags. I would make one for students to load the paper into
> their cameras, and another for them to process their paper
> negatives.

Rather than trying to process in a changing box why not use a roller
base and print processing drum.  Several companies make (or made) them
and you can get them new or used.

If you want you can make your own processing tubes from PVC plumbing
pipes.  See Phil Davis' "Beyond the Zone System" book for instructions
on how to make the tubes.  The View Camera Store (formerly Darkroom
Innovations) sells ready to use tubes (molded plastic rather than
glued up from PVC), and has instructions for their use available
online.  They assume you're going to use it for film processing.  They
should be OK for paper too.

> I was wondering if I could place a window into each of these boxes
> so that my students can see what they were doing.  Could I cut out a
> window in the changing box and then use a red safelight filter
> (think of it like a car's sunroof) without harm to the paper? Also
> could I use a battery powered closet light with a similar red filter
> to add some light into the same boxes for better viewing?

I think you'd wind up fogging the paper.

--
Brian Reynolds                  | "But in the new approach, as you know,
reyno...@panix.com              |  the important thing is to understand