First, thank you so much for the ideas and suggestions. I was pondering my
need for a darkroom and came up with a notion that should work in my
classroom. But I was wondering if anyone could answer the following:

    The use of paper negatives might be the easiest starting point. I was
thinking of making up changing boxes, instead of changing bags. I would make
one for students to load the paper into their cameras, and another for them
to process their paper negatives. I was wondering if I could place a window
into each of these boxes so that my students can see what they were doing.
Could I cut out a window in the changing box and then use a red safelight
filter (think of it like a car's sunroof) without harm to the paper? Also
could I use a battery powered closet light with a similar red filter to add
some light into the same boxes for better viewing?
    I would also cut out arm holes into the changing box and attach the
sleeves from a cheap changing bag. Is there some other way to make up these
sleeves at a lower cost? I was thinking about using the legs from old jeans
and sewing some elastic on the pant cuffs.
    As I am thinking about this, I would like to use everyday items and show
student how they were constructed this way they can (if they wish) be able
to try this out in their home. And since I also teach an environmental
science course it would be a nice way to show reusing of materials.
    If this works out it would be great. And would gladly post this
information on my site for others to use and improve upon.
Thanks again for the assistance. Chris