Hi, I was wondering if any of you could offer some advice. I teach a
research based science class in a high school. Each term I try to design new
and different things for my students to investigate. With my recent interest
in pinhole photography, I was thinking that this subject might make for a
new unit of study. My students all seem to have digital camera phones and
most probably do not realize the history that surrounds such devices. I
thought that if I could set up a series of investigations around pinhole
photography I could illustrate the history and the science behind this
technique. But this is where I sort of get stuck. I could probably get some
supplies for negative processing. But I do not know how to go about
designing this unit. I was thinking of having my students make the foam core
cameras that I have seen online (my first one as well). But using sheet film
would be impossible (cost wise and no place to process). Polaroid film would
be interesting but again costly. I was hoping for either 120 film or 35mm
film (this would be easier to get in my area).
    My goal is to get students to learn not only how to take a photograph
but to learn how to develop a negative, design a camera of different focal
lengths, see the relationship between f-stop and exposure, and some other
stuff. But I am literally drawing a blank on what types of investigations to
be done. If anyone could offer some suggestions I would be most
appreciative.
     I guess in short I am looking for the chemistry, physics and
engineering behind pinhole photography. Also would anyone know if those sun
print sheets of paper (I think they are a type of cyanotype media) could be
made safely by students? Then development would only be needing water? Thank
you for your time and for any response. I really want to try out this unit,
but I want it to be fun for the kids and have them learn something from it.
Chris.