I've been meaning to post some thoughts in reply to Andy's email of a couple
weeks ago, but in the new year I've been dragging my rear end. Sorry.

Andy, you posted your 12/30 suggestion in reply to my bemused wonderings
about how one goes about getting 25mm of bellows out of 4x5. Your suggestion
intrigued me. So last week I made a pinhole camera out of an empty 25-sheet
box of 4x5. I felt pretty excited at the prospects. It turned out to be an
adventure, though not along lines I'd **planned** it to be.

I went out into the desert here, armed w/ my "camera", plus a clamp so I
could attach it to my tripod, and a #29 filter, and a changing bag, and some
additional film. But that was all. No bag of goodies. No Polaroid back.
Nothing. Strangely, I immediately felt naked, having no authentic EQUIPMENT
in hand, not even an actual camera. I felt child-like, too, having a FAKE
camera in hand. No, not a fake camera but a toy, something as much like a
true camera as a child's invisible teddy bear is like a real friend. Very
strange. It also made me appreciate that bona fide equipment pushes the
spectators aside, quiets them, impresses them or at least chases them away.
Suddenly all I was doing was playing Mr. McGoo: only I knew that what I was
doing was genuine. Or rather, only I hoped it was. Everyone else would have
thought I was a lunatic.

The changing bag was practically a disaster. Squatting on the desert floor,
in the dust, fumbling for pieces of tape inside the bag, so I could make the
film hold to the camera back, failing to get the "lens cap" taped on
precisely -- all of it made me feel like a kid again. A stupid one. And I
didn't go there to feel like a kid, I went there to take great photos. I
went there to express my vision. Grrrr.

After fixing them, I eagerly pulled the sheets out of the developing tank --
and discovered that I could see straight through all four of them! They were
perfectly clear. I nearly threw them all away. Turned out that at 18mm, the
image circle is only about 50mm, which is not very much on a 4x5 sheet of
film. But they did turn out, all of them. And they are so very magical, too.
Two landscapes, an interior, and even a tabletop! Maybe good, maybe bad, I
don't know. Who cares. They were only an experiment. But I will say this:
the "eye" that recorded those images was not my eye. I have no idea whose
eye that was, or who could ever see like that. If today we lived in the
Middle Ages, perhaps I would believe that an angel (devil?) guided my
unknowing hand.

Then something happened that was like an episode from a Jorges Luis Borges
story. For it was two days later that I received M. Jean Dabaus' delightful
and profoundly timely email about the "eye", in which he quoted Evgen
Bacvar's question. I am not a blind photographer, and I am not going to try
to sound as though I comprehend the concept. Of course I do not, I cannot.
Yet -- yet, I myself did stand out there naked to the world with this silly
little cardboard box of a camera. I had an idea, yes, but I had no idea what
that clumsy camera would see, what it even was capable of seeing. Truly
"shots in the dark", to borrow a phrase. So when I read Jean's words, I
thought to myself, how did he know?! Why, I recognize this problem. In a way
(respectfully), in a way I realized that when I was out there that day, I
was indeed a blind photographer. I had no idea what I was seeing. I had no
idea what image I would achieve, or even whether I would achieve any image
at all. All I was armed with was a vision (a cloudy one...), and a hope --
or not even really a hope, but a wish -- that we (my silly camera and I)
would reach a kind of agreement. If not, then perhaps at least we would
produce a picture I could live with. But what would happen? I had no idea,
absolutely none. For me, after all these years of seeing the image follow so
closely on the heels of conceived idea, this was very, very uncomfortable.
Fun, but uncomfortable.

Years ago when I was in high school, I had a curious experience with a
Jesuit. We did an exercise. This person blindfolded me, and then proceeded
to lead me down the street. It was about trust. I would only be safe, I
would only get where I needed to go, by clutching the hand of a person I'd
just met. Clutching a hand can be an extremely uncomfortable experience if
(1) we do not know the person attached to it, and (2) we are BLIND. The
uncertainty was terrifying. I have never forgotten just how deeply it
unsettled. Not so much the idea, but the chemistry of what followed when my
sort of person mixed with that idea. So much of what is revealed in an
episode, turns out to be about the person it reveals in us, RATHER THAN
about the nature of the episode itself.

Following Andy's suggestion led me into an exciting -- and also a
troubling -- experience, AS A PHOTOGRAPHER. What was marvelous, was to
receive Jean's insight literally within hours. As though he'd been watching,
or worrying over me personally. Of course, Jean, you do not know me at all.
You were addressing a separate, apparently unrelated issue; or so you
supposed... But (also of course) we never know, do we?!, how fate or
coicidence may connect things that (to our own minds) possess no connection
at all. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to share your translation
of Evgen Bacvar's Question. I had never heard of Evgen Bacvar, and I
(truthfully) had never considered this question he raises. Because of your
note, Jean, I gained a far deeper understanding of this than I would have
otherwise.

Regards, Mike Healy