On Sunday, January 5, 2003, erick...@hickorytech.net wrote:

> Another thing occurs to me. The camera analogy is also limited by the fact
> that camera shutters open and close, while light streams into the human eye
> continuously. The operative 'shutter speed" would have to be the duration of
> exposure to the rod or cone required to trigger nerve conduction. I don't
> know whether there is a trasmission period followed by a refractory period,
> which would equate to shutter speed, or not.

It's been a while since I studied any of this, but as I
understand, the rods and cones in the retina sense light through
chemical reactions.  Eye as darkroom?  These chemicals would need
to be replenished, which could effect the sample rate.

One probably related phenomenon I've noticed, when in a pitch
black room, after firing a flash at a subject I'm gazing towards,
if I keep my eyes open and still for several seconds in the
subsequent darkness, a negative of the image "develops", and just
sort of hangs there for several seconds.  Wild fun! ;)

--
Scott Sellers
mailto:scottsell...@mindspring.com