Hi:

You could try converting a scanner into a camera.  A scanner is essentially a
very specialized strip
camera designed to take panoramic pictures of pages.

You could try getting a cheap or broken one disabling the light source.

Info on making a lens based scanner camera is at

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-better-scanner-cam.html

Gord