At 6:41 AM -0800 10/30/01, TSHACK wrote:
[...]
 you can also get it with a Lomo LC1 - it's a 35mm, with
 a lens with pinhole-like falloff, and it has an exposure meter
 that will keep the shutter open until it thinks it's received

I just ordered a couple of fully manual Lomos from Free Style Camera.  I'll
see what it takes to convert those.  $12 each, so not a huge investment.  I
did a search for the LC-1 online, but kept getting the LC-A.  Is that the
same?  Looks like the one Free Style sells for $149.

Sorry, it is the LC-A

 > enough light - I've had it stay open 5 minutes.  I have photos
 from halloween in Greenwich Village a few years ago that
 look very much like this one.

I would suspect there is not much variability between photos taken while
driving in traffic at night. ;-)

I have a series that I took by holding the camera against the front
window of the PATH train that went from New Jersey to the WTC.
Exposures of a minute or more, and lots of variation depending on
the lights in the tunnel.  I suspect for driving on flat roads without
a lot of buildings you are probably right.

I used to use Agfa Ultra 50 film.  I think it's been discontinued,
but it combined long exposure times with over-the-top color.
I have a bunch of it frozen....

Greg