With apologies to listmembers, as this is not pinhole,
 the Japanese tool called a baren is traditionally a
coil of tightly braided or wound rice husks (looking
rather like a coiled trivet) covered in large bamboo
leaves with a handle on the back to form a flat,
smooth disc that can be grasped from behind. These are
what are used to rub the back of the paper in
traditional wood block printing in Japan to transfer
the ink from the block to the paper. Good ones can
cost a fortune (I once saw one priced at nearly
$1,000!), bad ones fall apart immediately and rip the
paper your trying to print on. If you want to see a
cheap one just to get the idea, look for a cheapo
"Japanese woodblock printing kit" at an everyday art
supply store. Often they have little ones included.

Someone invented a wonderful one (the type I use) that
is an array of tiny ball bearings in concenric rings
set into holes and sandwiched between two round
plexiglass discs. Rolls over the paper like a dream
but allows you to exert a lot of even pressure over a
large area and doesn't wear out. These cost about
$200.00, but last practically forever. I can give you
a source in Tokyo if seriously interested, but when it
comes right down to it, any method of applying
pressure to a sheet of paper on a relief block will
work. You can do it with the back of a large spoon.
This is tedious, time-consuming work--especially if
you plan to make large prints--but use your
imagination. Pressure is what's important, not lots of
ink.

I have seen simple relief presses for sale cheap at
antique stores. Again, if really interested, I would
recommend making the investment in a good, moderately
sized intaglio press--something designed for what you
want to do. It will save you loads of frustration in
the end. Used ones are available and a great idea, but
have any candidate checked out before you buy by
someone who knows the problems to look for in a used
machine (biggest problem is usually a dented or
unevenly worn drum, which will cause dropout). I
suspect there are related forums out there for this
kind of topic. For more, contact me off list.

Hope this helps.

Colin