Hi:

Thanks!  My printmaking experience is limited to one photo etching
workshop taken over 10 years ago. I made one plate and printed a set of
just gorgeous prints.  Ever since then I've had a fascination
with printmaking - but limited access to resources - namely a press.

I don't know what a Japanese baren is - can you eplain?

Which leads me to a few questions.  What is a reasonably good technique
for making releif prints without a press?  Would this be the baren?

I am also looking at photopolymer plates.  These are a photosensitive
plastic plate.  The plate is sensitive to UV light - the plate hardens
when exposed to UV light.  It is then processed in water - the unexposed
portions dissolving in water.

These are usually used as  an intaglio process - I want to try using them
for releif printing.  Any ideas on whether or not this would work?

The friend I'm working with is an engineer with a well equiped shop - he
wants to know if we could build a press fairly easy or economically.

My understanding is a releif press could be made very simply - while an
etching press would be a little more complicated.

Is it possible to buy second hand presses? Is it worthwhile?

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander           Dept. of Biology
hol...@duke.usask.ca            112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg    University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433              Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461              Canada  S7N 5E2