Hi:

This what I think may be happening.

As film is developed the developer looses its activity. A film must be
developed in a volume of developer with enough capacity to fully develop
the film.

As the film is developed the developer in immediate contact with the film
looses its activity.  This locally expired developer must be replaced with
fresh developer that has not been "developed out".  If there is a
sufficient volume of developer there should be an adequate volume of fresh
developer.

Agitation provides the film with a consistent supply of fresh developer.
Without agitation the developer adjacent to the film becomes exhausted,
thus development stops or slows down considerably.

More agitation provides the film with more fresh developer allowing it to
develop more.  At some point increasing the rate of agitiation provides a
continuous supply of fresh developer.  Increasing the rate of agitation
beyond this point will not provide any more fresh developer, and should
not have any effect on contrast.

The point at which additional agitation does not affect development is
likley unique for each film and developer combination.

Most commmon way of adjusting contrast in by changing development time.
pH of developer can change developer activity as well - but thats not
commonly used.

Gord